Today I got to participate in the Out of the Darkness walk at my University. Let me say, it was a great experience.
Out of the Darkness is put on by the American Foundation for Suicide awareness and here are it’s Five Core Strategies (taken from the AFSP website):
- Funds scientific research
- Offers educational programs for professionals
- Educates the public about mood disorders and suicide prevention
- Promotes policies and legislation that impact suicide and prevention
- Provides programs and resources for survivors of suicide loss and people at risk, and involves them in the work of the Foundation
I know that a lot of people have been personally impacted by suicide. This cause is so so so so so important, we need to be able to talk about suicide in an open way.
When I first arrived, they had colored beads with each color representing how you’ve been impacted by suicide. They also had a chain that we made links with paper for, symbolizing a connected community. The speakers all did an amazing job.
If you are in crisis,
call 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline